Thursday, February 24, 2011

iTunes Game

I was at work today listening to my iPod. I was listening to something by Janis Joplin when I noticed how much the song reminded me of Florence and the Machine. I've also had a song by Fall Out Boy stuck in my head, so I decided to see if I could set up a playlist where each song logically followed the one before, either by similar chords, themes, or just sound alike. I successfully did this. I then decided to expand this method to see if I could bridge from that song to others that I randomly think of. I did this for a bit, then realized that I was at work, but had been playing with my iPod for the last half an hour. I mentally made up the following game, then decided to try it out when I got home.

The iTunes Game

  1. Open iTunes, put your library on shuffle
  2. Play a random song and put it in a new playlist. Move on to the next song, and add that song to the playlist. Repeat until your playlist is six songs long.
  3. Figure out a series of songs that each follow from each other to make a flowing sequence from the first to second song.
  4. Repeat for songs 2-3 and on and on until the entire playlist is connected.
Here's the playlist I just generated. Songs are in bold are the six random ones I had to connect between.


  1. Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) - Arcade Fire
  2. Blinding - Florence and the Machine
  3. When the Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin
  4. Live and Let Die - Guns N' Roses
  5. Ghostbusters - Ray Parker Jr.
  6. Party Out of Bounds - The B-52's
  7. Hornets! Hornets!
  8. These Are My Twisted Words - Radiohead
  9. A New Machine - Pink Floyd
  10. Hide and Seek - Imogen Heap
  11. Laughing With - Regina Spektor
  12. Gotta Get Drunk - The Little Willies
  13. Beer - Reel Big Fish
  14. Wrong Way - Sublime
  15. C'mon Girl - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
  16. Zero - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
  17. Lovers (Live A Little Longer) - ABBA
  18. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - The Rolling Stones
  19. Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution - AC/DC

I give myself bonus points for getting from ABBA to AC/DC in one step

No comments:

Post a Comment